Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Conversation

After re looking at my paper and having my writing tutor look at my paper, I have narrowed down my topic to College Drinking in Sororities and Fraternities. I have revised my research question to be about the social problem in Greek life and how it leads to drinking problems. My main question is why Greek Life attracts drinkers and how can we lower the statistics on this problem. An article states “They contend that Greek organizations often are stereotyped or pigeonholed as social “drinking clubs” motivating “drinking along with other undesirable forms of behavior”3(p124); however, find- ings from the study document fraternities’ impact on the drinking behavior of its members as negligible.” (Barry) This statement shows that the stereotype for Gerek organizations is that they are meant to drink. A point that I will try to make is that students join Greek life as a freshman or culture as a lifestyle choice and something that they are used to in high school. For example, if a person drinks a lot constantly, they will join a frat or sorority because Greek life is considered the place for drinking and partying. What can be done is to suggest ways for people who want to join a sorority or fraternity and not make it mandatory for drinking to occur or ban it in general. An argument can be if drinking is banned will people join a sorority. Greek Life attracts drinkers because of there past reputation. The book “Dying to Drink” says that “2001 survey showed three quarters of fraternity and sorority house residents are binge drinkers” (35).

No comments:

Post a Comment